Thursday, October 13, 2011

HALLOWEEN




I really love Halloween.  So many of my favorite things gathered together on one holiday.  The fact that it's a holiday !  Costumes, candy, scary themed parties, dark and spooky music, little kids running around completely jacked up on sugar with capes flying behind, adults concocting witches brew and the once a year use of the most magical invention dry ice, weird anti - Halloween parents spreading terrifying urban legend to try to dampen the festivities but actually only making them better, haunted houses that make you pee your pants... the list goes on.

CANDY

I love candy.  I really loved candy when I was a kid.  I was lucky enough to have a mom and pop grocery store conveniently located between my elementary school and home that carried all the old time candies.  I am sure I tried every single one.  I still get excited when I see some of my old favorites like Abba Zabba or U-NO.  Of course, you can order it all online but it's more fun seeing on the shelf of an actual store.  I got these pix of my old favs from a site called old time candy.  They're all there !




I realize 'Beer Nuts' are not really candy but they used to have them at the liquor store on the counter and I was always able to get my mom to buy me some.  They are hard to find.  Sweet n salty.  Those little peanut butter bars under the Abba Zabba are the perfect candy.  Sugary, crunchy and peanut buttery in the middle.  I was considering making myself a Halloween bag of all this stuff but it's gotten kinda pricey and I don't know that my teeth or my waistline can handle that kind of sugar fest.  I will probably just grab a couple of 'fun size'  Heath bars and Butterfinger. ( I think standard size is actually more 'fun' than bite size but such is the whacky mindset of marketing)

HORROR FILMS







Chris Elliot's character in Scary Movie 2 was hilarious but also very creepy.  I like some scary movies but not so much the obvious kind where someone goes on a killing rampage.  I guess the classics are classic for a reason - The Shining, The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Jaws.  Yeah, Jaws scared the pants off you the first time you saw it!
This weekend has 2 good Halloween things coming out - The Thing ( it's a prequel so I have hopes) and the season premiere of The Walking Dead on tv. ( I loved last season).  It's fun to have a Halloween warm up scary movie fest - even if you just watch 'Scary Movie 1,2,3...

MUSIC

Here is my Halloween playlist:

Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhaus
Cry Little Sister - Lost Boys - The Tribe
Saint-Saens:Danse Macabre Symphony #3
Black No. 1 - Type O Negative
Fall Fest - The Covenant
Tote Kinders - Die Form
Bloodletting - Concrete Blonde
This is Halloween - The Nightmare Before Christmas
Everyday is Halloween - Ministry
Nemesis - Shriekback
Living Dead Girl - Rob Zombie
Time to Die - Chris Vrenna
Blood, Brains and Rock 'n Roll - Zombie Girl


So we are off to a good start.  Now, time to plan the costume !  So many choices I don't know what to do.  I guess I will eat some candy, watch some scary movies and see what crazy costume thoughts prevail.  Happy Halloween !!!!









 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment