Monday, December 8, 2014

PERFUME UPDATE

Glass perfume bottle by Roger Gandelman

I am inspired to write this little "update" (my last perfume post was 2 1/2 years ago...) by the commitment I have just made to my 20015 New Years Resolution.  I am finally going to finish the natural perfume course that I started 4 years ago.  I have begun revisiting Fragrantica, a site I have been a member of for around 4 years.  I have posted about a dozen reviews over there... 12 divided by 4... Yeah.  Not exactly diving in head first to the perfume pool.  So, now that I have announced my commitment to the Internet, it's time to pick up the pace.


Top Notes: Green Leaves; Bergamot
Middle Notes: Lily-of-the-Valley; Lilac; Jasmine*
Base Notes; Sandalwood; Civet
*the middle notes other than these take a neutral stand for me so I'm skipping them in my list

Diorissimo was created in 1956 and is centered around Christian Dior's favorite flower - Lily-of-the-Valley.  He was kind of obsessed.  It has wonderful folklore in France and is symbolic of hope, happiness and joy.  This scent, it would follow, evokes such feelings.  Especially if you are French. And from the 50s.  And are lucky enough to have a bottle of the 'original recipe'.  It seems in these modern times Lily-of-the-Valley is synthetic, as is civet.  That said, the modern version is still giving it's all to make Christian Dior full of joy, wherever he may be.  The scent is very Euro/French/lunch at a Parisian bistro/Springtime/riverbank/gloves/snappy little dress... It's 50s Dior!  In other words-awesome!




Top Notes: Bergamot; Orange Blossom
Middle Notes: White Flowers; Musk
Base Notes: Leather; Wood

Gucci Premiere was created in 2010 and is supposed to invoke the red carpet experience... Not for me.  First of all, the 'red carpet experience' for most of us is not terribly exciting.  And the words 'red carpet' evoke the scent of desperation, synthetic aspiration, and prescriptive meds.  Not really a good perfume experience.  Luckily this scent was inaccurately named.  I like it very much.  It is a romantic night out kind of scent.  Soft, sexy, powdery, gentle.  Way too intimate for the red carpet.  I picture an art deco dressing room with a small window open and a breeze fluttering the curtains while a woman of substance sits at her vanity, fixing her lipstick and layering that last spritz of Gucci Premiere before stepping out for an evening to remember.  An evening that does not include photographers.




Top Notes: Pink Pepper; Lotus Flower; Orange Blossom
Middle Notes: Pink Peony; Wild Rose
Base Notes: Amber; Musk; Blonde Woods

David Yurman's Delicate Essence is a fresh floral that is indeed delicate.  With it's main flower being Rose it does not scream Rose, as many others do.  I like this scent as a daytime, even morning, scent.  It is sort of dreamy but also clean and thoughtful.  It was inspired by the gemstone Pink Tourmaline which I like quite a bit so I think the inspiration was a success.


Top Notes: Bergamot; Mandarin; Lychee; Lily-of-the-Valley
Middle Notes: Tuberose
Base Notes: Caramel; Sandalwood; Vanilla; Musk

Dolce and Gabbana - The One Desire is delicious.  I would call this a gourmand even though it's categorized a floral oriental.  The caramel and vanilla are enough to make you think of dessert.  In a good way.  Like a gorgeous chocolate bite with a glass of champagne or a sweet after dinner wine... I don't know.  Something to do with a fantastic dinner and now it's time for a yummy sensual lingering treat.  That's this perfume.  Actually, I could imagine falling asleep after a lovely evening like that and still having a bit of this on my wrist to send me off to a perfect sleep.  ( And the bottle is gorgeous!)

I do love perfume.  I have no idea why it has taken me forever to finish my perfumery course ( which is complete when I create my own scent!) but I will surely be posting more fragrance reviews in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment