Monday, April 8, 2013

DIY PROJECTS... SOMETIMES GOOD!

I didn't actually make this... but I'm going to!



The last time I blogged about DIY projects was 2 years ago.  That was right before I joined Pinterest.  I haven't really paid much attention to the DIY boards on Pinterest but occasionally something catches my eye and occasionally I try it.  It kind of goes without saying that most Pinterest surfing happens late at night when I am not ready for sleep, and goes on well past the 'half hour' I give myself.  Which kind of explains some of the dumb diy stuff I get sucked into.

theirs
mine
















I can't imagine why I thought weaving coasters from magazine pages was a good use of time, a useful end product or a 'neat' recycling project.  It sucked, was crazily time consuming and the end product looked like a grade school rainy day project.  I ended up making 3 of these and using them under stuff that could potentially harm the table.  I couldn't possibly ask anyone to use this as a drink coaster.





On the other hand, I blogged about gardening a few weeks ago and mentioned that I wanted to try a 'zombie garden' and that turned out pretty awesome .(so far)





Sometimes you just have to tweak the diy recipe.  A few years ago, after trying the homemade windex, the first person to walk through the door exclaimed "it smells like feet in here".  And to be honest, it did.  Vinegar smells like feet.  But just the other day I saw this recipe and can't wait to see if it fixes the problem.




Soaking orange peels in vinegar for a couple of weeks then cleaning the glass.  Why didn't I... whatevs.  Now I know!

I don't really know why but I have a rather extensive jar collection.  There is a certain criteria to becoming a part of my jar collection but it's not really that detailed.  I already have all the nails and screws etc separated by size and sealed in their jars but I just saw this nifty idea that makes my jar collection possibly useful in other areas of the house beside the garage.



Once again - why didn't I ...

There is literally no end to the DIY universe.  Just stick to a couple of rules: Is the time and effort worth it?  Is this going to look like I bought it at a church bazaar? Could my toddler do this (maybe better...)?  Does this smell like feet?

That's it, you're on your way.  Enjoy : ))

No comments:

Post a Comment